What is an OUPV License?
An Operator of Uninspected Vessel (OUPV) license allows it holder to operate vessels less than 100 Gross Tons and carry up to six passengers-for-hire. This license is commonly referred to as a “six-pack license.”
For professionals, this is an excellent license for anyone starting or advancing a maritime career and is common among fishing guides, charter captains, and water taxis. Earning this license will enable you to captain vessels and chart your own course.
For boating enthusiasts and adventurers, earning this license is a great way to learn the fundamentals of navigation, emergency procedures, and navigation Rules of the Road. This course will prepare you for your next voyage, help you stay safe on the water, and captain confidently
To be eligible for this license, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18+ years old
- Pass a National Maritime Center approved course and exam, such as Explorers Guide Online
- Have 360 days underway with 90 days in the past three years
- Complete a medical physical and drug screen
- Hold a Red Cross approved First-Aid/CPR certificate
- Hold a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)
More information regarding license requirements & application can be found at the National Maritime Center’s webpage
- Self-paced online course typically takes 35 – 50 hours depending on experience level
- Four final exams which can be taken at one of our nationwide approved testing sites
- 24/7 course availability. Mobile responsive content allows you to complete course work anytime, anywhere
- National Maritime Center approved for issuance and renewal of an OUPV merchant mariner credential
- Fees include all course materials (manual, plotting tools, and a chart) and one sitting of your proctored exams
- From the time you start your first lesson, you have 26 weeks to complete the course & exams. Most students complete the course within 12 weeks
- Refund policy: All courses can be refunded within four weeks of purchase or the completion of one course module, whichever comes first
Military, First Responder, & Group Discounts
Thank you for all you do to keep us safe! Please contact us to learn more about our military, first responder, and veteran discounts
Interested in group enrollments? Contact us to learn more about our group enrollment discounts. This is a great solution for boat clubs, sailing teams, and maritime corporations
Have more questions? Feel free to call, text, or email us. We’re happy to help.